Thursday, May 2, 2013

Córdoba, Andalusia, España


While on study abroad in Spain back in 2007, we had the opportunity to travel all over the country and experience more fully what is Spain.  One of these trips, we went to the south and got to be immersed in the rich history that surrounds Córdoba. 

La Mezquita, or the Great Mosque began as a Christian church in the 7th century A.D. and completed in the 10th as an Islamic Mosque. During la reconquista a cathedral was placed in the midst of the Mosque.  This blend of religions has led to an amazing beautiful structure, with mostly gorgeous Muslim architecture. 

The prayer hall of the Mosque.

I love how this beauty of the dome of the mosque forces you to look heavenward and be at awe of the creators of this place. 

I couldn't take my eyes off this amazing doorway. The Mihrab in La Mezquita. 

If you haven't noticed by now, I have a fixation with the skeleton, how death is represented, and how people treat their dead.  The accuracy and use crossed femur in this sculpture caught my eye.   

The light bursting in from the open windows seemed to hightight this hallway perfectly. 

Best decoration for an alleyway that I have ever seen in my life. 

Check out the symmetry of this window pane garden with the sun just over the building. 

Don't worry, the Burger King is not in la Mezquita...

I love deteriorating buildings. Albolafia Mill.

Archaeological site of Medina Azahara, just outside Cordoba was a medieval Muslim palace and town. 

Entryway to the house of Ya'far, seriously check out those engravings.

 I love being able to wander and walk the same streets that people walked  a thousand years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment